I have been a lover of books my whole life. I have a memory of going with my mom to the public library in St. Clair Shores Michigan and being completely in awe that they would let me walk out of there with any book I wanted!
I am also a lover of all things personal growth—workshops, groups, therapy, etc.
So, it should come as no surprise that I love nothing more than nerding out on personal growth books.
Bibliotherapy (the use of literature to support mental health) is powerful stuff! Bibliotherapy can be a way to dip our toe into the water to see if we want to invest in some therapy, or bibliotherapy can be an adjunct to therapy that you’re already doing, helping you get more “bang for your buck” so to speak. Personal growth books can increase our knowledge base and help us incorporate new perspectives. Books can help us discover new tools for healing.
My office is full to the brim with personal growth books. It’s time for me to share the love.
That’s why we are launching a Month of Reading Bravely.
Each week, for the next four weeks, we are going to post a new list of my favorite personal growth books.
Week 1: Taking Care of You
Week 2: All about Sex
Week 3: Intimate Relationships
Week 4: Parenting
Are you ready for Week 1 of your Month of Reading Bravely? Here are my 10 favorite books about Taking Care of You. The common thread here is that these are all books that invite you into a bigger and wider paradigm. Expanding our perspective can help us reduce anxiety, lift depression, and invite in compassion and grace.
1. Brown, Brené. (2015). Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead.
2. Burnside, Annie. (2014). From Role to Soul: 15 Shifts on the Awakening Journey.
3. Hanson, Rick. & Mendius, Richard. (2009). Buddha’s brain: The practical neuroscience of happiness, love and wisdom.
4. hooks, bell. (2000). All About Love.
5. Lesser, Elizabeth. (2005). Broken Open.
6. Neff, Kristin. (2015). Self-Compassion: The Proven Power of Being Kind to Yourself.
7. Siegel, Daniel J. (2010). Mindsight: The New Science of Personal Transformation.
8. Turkle, Sherry. (2015). Reclaiming Conversation: The Power of Talk in a Digital Age.
9. Vanzant, Iyanla. (2012). Peace from Broken Pieces: How to Get Through What You’re Going Through.
10. Walsh, Neale Donald (1996). Conversations with God.
Featured image by Eugenio Mazzone